Monday, October 14, 2013

"I Wanna See You Be Brave"

I am no longer sick, but I have a damn busy life to live, you know.  I can angst about what to write.  I try to be all "intentional" about it.  There's something the reader wants to connect with, and I've got to hint at it every time.

It's hard.

So, I was thinking today (well, actually, I think a lot about this) about how we live in a very fear-based, fear-motivated society.

Wait!  Don't go.  Stick with me here.  You may think I'm going to get political and rambly, but I won't.

I think that we're on to something when we think about how NOT to live that way.  It just feels right to question this fear.  I speak for myself, I guess.  You may not feel the same.

Regardless of what we think about fear, I want to think about what it means to BE BRAVE.

Does it mean you are vulnerable?

Honest?

Dangerous?

Confident?

Gutsy?

Honorable?

It is a fascinating word.  Thinking about what brave means is like trying to perfectly capture "love" in one sentence.

I try to be brave.  I am still just so silly when it comes to some things.  Things that really freak me out:  the first 10 minutes roller skating, going down escalators, heights, and I don't like socializing sometimes.  I know I get better at being brave with age, so that is nice.  I do think I am braver in many "small" ways.  I'm pretty honest and speak my thoughts, and socialize more.  I have been brave in tough circumstances like giving birth, surviving surgeries and calamities, moving different places, trying new things, going through divorce.

It's a good thing that my brave is increasing because I have a son.  Maybe, even though he is so sensitive, he'll have a pretty good chance at living his life in a brave manner.  I guess, to me, brave is authentic.  It's really hard to be authentic, but to be authentic is good.  Right?  Or, is that another conversation?

Moving on, I am madly in love with this song.  I'm totally providing free publicity here because this song was my entire inspiration for this blog today.  A welcome inspiration.

I love the video.  You will too.

I promise.

Brave, Sara Bareilles

Ok, so it's kinda cheesy, but there's a place for that in my heart.

6 comments:

  1. I think being brave is just being your true self. Hard to do when others are critical or think they know what's best for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - it is one of the bravest things we can do in life is to be authentic to who we are.

      Delete
  2. I think being brave is just being your true self. Hard to do when others are critical or think they know what's best for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been witness to your bravery and felt truly amazed. Love you, Mom p.s. loved the video!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That video is great! I think you are right about people having a fear and they worry about what others may think. I remember when my daughter was in preschool and everyone would stand waiting outside at pick up not even saying hello. I told my sister and she said "You don't act all loud and silly dancing around when you pick her up do you?" I said, "You bet I do!" I would not really call that brave, but I would say it is true to myself. I could not wait to see my little one after school and she loved when I made such a big deal out of picking her up. Too many people worry about the things that are not important. I was not going to let a bunch of people who can't even say hello get to me. Life is way too short to worry about others and we should be brave! Great post my friend. I hope you are well!

    Mama Hen

    ReplyDelete